[SVN] Wrong list?

David Rogers al.the.x at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:46:36 UTC 2006

More details, you say?

1) What They Are

DW Templates are regular HTML files that use particular logic
encapsulated in standard XHTML (SML, actually) comment tags: <!--
Comment here... --> (example). There is a convention to the tags and
their usage, but it's horribly buried in the DW development site,
various blogs, and the DW documentation. I've never found a definitive
list.

2) What They Do

The tags are used by DW to cordon off sections of the (X)HTML as
editable or no, to indicate inclusion from external file snippets
(called Library Items) or other template files altogether (called
'Nested Templates'), and to pass around variable-like value
assignments. These features are mostly used by DW exclusively, but the
logic is no secret.

3) What I Propose

For those of us who still like to build XHTML sites in text or who use
programmatic approaches to building sites, it would be advantageous to
be able to build DW templates, as well, based upon the programming
logic we define. However, with no concrete reference on the subject,
this becomes problematic.

Hence, a Textmate bundle that:
   1) Provides a reference for the DW Template Tag library
   2) Performs the 'Validate Template' action according to DW Template
logic
   3) Generates DW Template Tags automatically from a standard Bundle
interface

Thoughts, ideas, critiques?

David