[SVN] ctags command

Matthew Gilbert gilbert at voxmea.net
Sun Jan 8 19:18:17 UTC 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 5/1/2006, at 20:33, Matthew Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I threw together a command to do ctags lookup. I know there's the
>> very cool TmCodeBrowser, but I'm too chicken (totally unfounded)
>> to add an input manager. I was just curious if there was any
>> interest in an additional method of ctags support. If so, I'm
>> happy to add it svn or post to the list. Here is a link to a
>> screenshot which I think demonstrates the functionality pretty
>> well http://www.voxmea.net/ctags.png.
>
> If this provides “go to (show) definition” then I beleive this
> would indeed be useful to a lot of people. If it is only one
> command, I suggest adding it to the source bundle, otherwise it
> should probably get its own bundle.

I've checked in the command as part of the Source bundle. It includes
a binary component that is an interface to the readtags library that
ships with ctags. The readtags source looks to me to be in the public
domain (that is how I read the source header information). I've also
included the readtags source and my source in the command (it's all
in a zip file which also contains the python). It works well for me;
please let me know how it works for you.

Issues that I know of are:

1. The binary is PPC. If you believe the rumors this will be an issue
in a couple of days.
2. Help is pretty sparse.
3. Maybe the default behavior of searching to '/' for a tags file is
inappropriate?
4. My css/javascript skills are weak; if someone wanted to make it
pretty I would be all for it.
5. Not tested much with default ctags program on Tiger.
6. Expects Python 2.3 (which ships with Tiger). This will not work
for Panther users without first unzipping the archive. Are there many
folks not using Tiger?
7. I hope I've not misinterpreted the license!

I really look forward to hear how this works for others. Thanks _matt