[SVN] Licensing for Bundles?

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Sat May 14 09:39:35 UTC 2005

On 13 May 2005, at 21:47, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> I'd prefer just to have everything under one license, and allow
> exceptions (for when including stuff already under another
> license). So I propose adding license.txt to the root of the
> repository putting everything (not explicitly stated to fall under
> another license) under this copyright:
>
>     Copyright (c) 2004-2005 MacroMates
>
>     Permission to copy, use, modify, sell and distribute this
> software is
>     granted. This software is provided "as is" without express or
> implied
>     warranty, and with no claim as to its suitability for any purpose.

OK, I'm not a 'legal definitions' kind of guy so I'm staying out of
that particular issue, but I just wanted to put these views forward.

All developers with SVN contribution access should accept and receive
the following:

-- The right for Allan Odgaard and/or MacroMates to copy, use,
modify, sell and distribute their contribution in perpetuity.
-- Their obligation that their contribution is within their right to
contribute and that they have followed the requirements of any other
licences for their contributed content.
-- The "as is" warranty bit.

-- The reward for their contribution(s) would be a discounted upgrade
fee (0 - 100%) for the application subject to Allan's discretion.
-- The right to use/reuse their contributions in other projects -
including competing commercial projects - should they wish to do so.

Although the upgrade cost issue has not yet arisen, I think that it
would be ideal (and common sense) for Allan/MacroMates to say a
"Thank You for your help in making TM better" to bundle dev's by
'compensating' them with discounted upgrades. Now the issue arises of
how much discount for how much contribution, for how many versions
and so on, but I trust Allan to deal with all that in a professional
manner so it's not really a concern in my mind.

If we as bundle dev's creates something - (what = ??) - that can be
used in other contexts as well, then we should have the right to do
so without Allan/MacroMates hindering us. This really just an extreme
safeguard issue so nothing important.

Ohh, almost forgot this reward:

-- The rights to buy initial IPO options when MacroMates is launched
on Nasdaq ;-)

Just my 1/2 cent worth of gibberish.

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -