[SVN] Re: question about Go To Symbol

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 20:51:23 UTC 2005

> > Here is another inquiry/idea about Go To Symbol ...
> > The best thing about Go To File is the incremental search -- to just
> > start typing and get the file you want.  Can we have this for Go To
> > Symbol as well?
>
> Someone isn't reading the release notes very carefully! ;)

oh, sorry, I did read that bit.  I guess I was just thinking out loud
about how that would get implemented.  But on second thought, the way
Go To File lets you type probably wouldn't need a specific capture
group from the matched symbol line (I was just anticipating typing
"func" and getting the first "function AA[...]" when you were trying
to look up "function funcLookup()", etc).

> > One idea for implementing this is to add another
> > parameter (in addition to showInSymbolList) that corresponds to a
> > capture name.  Say, for example: [...]
>
> huh? I'm not sure what this has to do with the incremental filtering.

I was just referring to the process "type something in a search box
and get immediate results" as incremental searching ... then thinking
out loud again ... so nevermind :)

> Or did you mean to give a capture (scope) that the incremental search
> (as in ^S) should use, like with the spell checker, which can also be
> limited to a scope?
>
> I do plan to add a scope field to the find dialog -- but most of the
> time what I actually want is to exclude a scope from my searches (i.e.
> comments), so I wasn't sure if I should allow negations/not's in the
> scope specifier, or just do a checkmark/popup. Probably the first would
> be best (since it could also be used in the theme/bundle editor scopes
> then).

I imagine spotlight might help address some of those issues.