[SVN] sprucing up default themes

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Apr 21 17:56:40 UTC 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 18:42, Eric Hsu wrote:

> I've made some personal color changes and also added a 'Variables' and
> 'Keywords Flow Control' to my own Bright Theme. I somehow want to
> check-in the added categories without foisting my own color
> preferences on people.  Thoughts? Maybe I should just check it in
> since people will have to change colors to what they want anyway... It
> would be easier if there were an official way to make your own Theme.
> (More official than cp -r and hoping uuid's don't collide...)

In the Theme Editor you can select New Settings Group, a group equals a
new file on disk, and you can then add/commit that new file (it's under
AppSupport/TextMate/Settings).

The actual theme (as in: Bright, Dark, Grey) is just a list of UUID's
to enable. Currently there's no way to make a new theme from the UI,
but you can do it from Terminal.app, quit TextMate and run:

    defaults write com.macromates.textmate OakThemeManagerThemes
-array-add '{ name = "Eric's theme"; uuid = "'`uuidgen`'"; settings =
(); }'

This gives you a new theme named: “Eric's theme”.

I'm still not decided on how to best handle these things yet. E.g.
people may want to distribute their themes (that's currently not
possible), a bundle may want to add to an existing theme or have its
own theme, which is also not currently possible.

One option is to move Settings to the Bundles and let the settings file
contain which theme it is a part of. That way a bundle can add to
existing themes and a user can distribute his theme...