[TxMt] Re: Ruby Bundle unavailable

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Wed Sep 14 14:17:15 UTC 2016

> On 13 Sep 2016, at 17:26, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> What I'm noticing is a different issue with Ruby. When I run a Ruby script in TextMate 2.0-beta.12.4, it sometimes doesn't stop after the script should come to an end. The Ruby process keeps running behind the scenes, taking over my CPU and causing my fans to blow. I have to restart (with difficulty) to get control of things. It seems like the script runner is not returning properly.
>
> Could this possibly be your script?
>
> When it happens, you should check in Activity Monitor what process is actually using the CPU.
>
> When you close the output window, do you get the ability to stop the command, and if so, does that result in the window closing, but still a process gone haywire?

That process in Activity Monitor is ruby. After a couple of hours of work I can end up with several copies of ruby in Activity Monitor, and that's when the fans get so loud that I realize something is up.

Closing the output window does not stop it. Sometimes the activity spinner in the output window is still going, when this happens, but usually not; it usually looks like the script has finished properly, which again is why I don't notice the problem until the fans spin up.

What I'm now doing is (1) I've ended the script with explicit `exit` and (2) I keep Activity Monitor open while I'm working so I can glance at the CPUs.

What I'm wondering is whether something changed about how the ruby script runner works. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 9! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920044352.do