[TxMt] Re: Code folding questions

Mon Aug 22 06:05:15 UTC 2016

On 21 Aug 2016, at 14:15, Fabian Zeindl wrote:

> […] given the following code is it possible to do this in TextMate:
>
> let x = { number: 42 }
>
> 1. I want to place the cursor after the { and when I press return, I
> the closing bracket should too go on a new line
>
> let x = {
>     number: 42
> }

In the Ruby bundle there is a “Toggle ‘do … end’ / ‘{ …
}’” command bound to ⌃{ which does something very similar, so for
the implementation you can look at this command.

Though I took a quick look, and it seems surprisingly complex, and it
even reads the selection or document (when there is no selection) in
TextMate’s XML format (which include scope info). I am not sure why
this is necessary.

For actually overloading return and backspace in these locations, this
is possible if you make the grammar match them and assign a scope at the
desired locations, but I think it would be better with a toggle key like
the Ruby bundle.

Come to think of it, there is also _Fold/Unfold Code_ in the C bundle
(also bound to ⌃{) which also does something similar.