[TxMt] [latex.tmbundle] kpsewhich is installed, but PATH stopped finding it

Jenny Harrison profharrison at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 03:30:58 UTC 2015

I have used the Latex Bundle of TextMate on a daily basis for ten years. It is my workhorse and I am grateful for the improvements that this wonderful group has put into it, especially René Schwaiger.

Now I need help. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I am unable to run “Typeset &View (PDF).”  Here is the error log:

This command requires ‘kpsewhich’ which wasn’t found on your system.
The following locations were searched:
 • /usr/bin
 • /bin
 • /usr/sbin
 • /sbin
 • ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles/Bundle Support.tmbundle/Support/shared/bin
If ‘kpsewhich’ is installed elsewhere then you need to set PATH in Preferences → Variables to include the folder in which it can be found.

When I run “which kpsewhich” in terminal, it returns

/Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich

In Preferences my Path Variable is

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/texbin:/Library/TeX/texbin

I tried replacing this with

/Library/TeX/texbin

and got this error log after restarting:

This command requires ‘kpsewhich’ which wasn’t found on your system.

The following locations were searched:
 • /usr/bin
 • /bin
 • /usr/sbin
 • /sbin
 • ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles/Bundle Support.tmbundle/Support/shared/bin

I tried restarting everything several times along the way.

I installed a fresh version of MaxTex.

I installed a fresh version of TextMate 2.

which kpsewhich returns the same response as before:

/Library/TeX/texbin/kpsewhich

I tried both

PATH and $PATH

My .tex files run as they should on TexShop.

I will be grateful for advice. I could find no other tips online, and apologize if the solution to my problem has been posted.

Best wishes,

Jenny Harrison
Mathematics Department
UC Berkeley