[TxMt] Re: Open TextMate from FileZilla and I Can't Save my Edits

Fri Nov 4 03:53:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM, martcol <martcol at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> tamouse mailing lists wrote:
>>

>> I would, at a guess, say you're probably saying "TextMate.app" (or
>> maybe without the .app part).
>>
>> What you want is to specify the command line program mate or matewait
>> which runs separately and hooks up to the TextMate application when
>> invoked.
>>
>> See: http://manual.macromates.com/en/using_textmate_from_terminal.html
>> (which is really about calling TextMate from other appliations)

> thank you tamouse
>
> I read the page on opening TextMate in another app.  With FikeZilla there is
> already a way to get that. It's in preferences and I just navigated to
>>applications>TextMate.  TextMate opens ok but once it is open it won't let
> me save any edits.

Hmm. This doesn't seem right to me. If you just point it at the
TextMate.app folder on your mac, it's not going to work quite the same
way.

The way you want to think of it is as though the TextMate application
is a kind of server that lets you edit files. Thus the mate program is
used by outside applications to communicate with the TextMate edit
server.

I have this on my mac:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  50 Apr 27  2008 /usr/local/bin/mate@ ->
/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/mate

Thus, you should be able to give /usr/local/bin/mate as the editor,
and it will connect with the actual TextMate app. You will most likely
want the mate program to wait while you make your edits, so you want
to supply the -w option to mate. (Note, if FileZilla doesn't let you
specify options, you can link matewait to mate and that will work as
if the -w option was specified.)

> Anyway, since posting I have worked out that it's a permissions thing. So, I
> don't think it's actually a TextMate problem but more about me not
> understanding my mac!
>
> The files are site files and are downloaded from an existing site.  Somehow
> the mac thinks I don't have the permissions to edit them.

This doesn't seem likely, as FileZilla won't be able to write them to
your mac in the first place if you don't have permission to do so. I
may not quite be understanding how FileZilla works, though. Do the
files have write permission on the remote side for the user you are
logging in with in FileZilla? If not, FileZilla may be just
replicating the file permissions as they are on the remote site. You
have to deal with two sets of file permissions: those on your local
Mac, and those on the remote site.

As I'm not familiar with FileZilla (I use Cyberduck) I don't really
know what FileZilla is doing.