[TxMt] Re: Update python and ruby

Sun Jan 2 18:55:48 UTC 2011

On 30 Dec 2010, at 18:39, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:
>
>> i would like to know if it's possible to install the latest version of ruby and python
>> and to avoid problem with textmate?
>>
>> What is the better method to do this ?
>
> Most (if not all) situations where TextMate uses Python and Ruby, it should respect the values of environment variables called TM_PYTHON and TM_RUBY. If you have problems after installing a newer version, you could always set these variables to point to the stock versions in `/usr/bin`. Of course, that could potentially undermine the reason you installed them in the first place, but it will keep TextMate working. I believe Ruby is the riskier of the two to mess with, FYI.

Actually, we recommend PATH is set so that standard ruby, python, etc. is found, as that is what we test against, so this should always work (if not, please open an issue at the appropriate bundle).

The TM_«whatever» variables exist to set what interpreter should be used for *user content*. So it should be safe to set these to the latest cutting edge version, and ⌘R, validation, etc. should use that cutting edge version.

That said, this is a new policy, so not everything is following it yet, but we fix policy violations when we detect them.