[TxMt] Re: [TM2] Slow open/change file, a lot of cpu usage each time switch/open file

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Sun Dec 18 20:51:24 UTC 2011

On Dec 18, 2011, at 2:24 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2011, at 18:34, Trevor Harmon wrote:
>
>> Every time I open a new file or begin typing in an unmodified buffer, TextMate hangs for a good 5 seconds. […]
>
> Try relaunch TextMate and hold ⇧ so you get no session restore.
>
> Open a file without ever bringing up the file browser.
>
> See if the performance is still bad.
>
> If not, this most likely is related to SCM status updating done by the file browser.

I did some more experiments and it is not an SCM issue. If I make a duplicate of the directory with no trace of Git (using "git archive"), I can still get the extreme slowness. Also, a different project that uses Git doesn't have the problem.

It has something to do with how deep the file browser hierarchy is. For example, if I open my entire project in TextMate, the slowness is there, but if I open a subdirectory of the project with only a few files in it, the problem goes away. Interestingly, the height of the subdirectory in the hierarchy seems to correspond to the slowness. For example, if there's a directory in the project foo/bar/baz, then opening foo = slow, bar = a little bit faster, baz = faster still, etc.

However, I also have a project of about the same size, also managed by Git, and I can't reproduce the problem there at all. It is almost entirely Objective-C files, whereas the problematic project is almost all Java and XML files, so I still think the bundle/grammar is a factor here.

Trevor