[TxMt] Re: Python Bundles

Watts Martin layotl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:21:02 UTC 2011

Phil wrote:

> Using the official Python bundle I seem to only get completion on
> commands, not lookup of methods on the object at the cursor.

You'll need to install both ropy at a system-wide level and the
textmate-ropy bundle to get this, but it worked for me. To install ropy,
just go to a terminal prompt and type

sudo easy_install ropy

Then to install the textmate-ropy bundle, you'll need to check it out of
Subversion, apparently. Again at the shell prompt:

svn co http://textmate-ropy.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ textmate-ropy

(I presume you know Subversion, but if you don't, that creates a
"textmate-ropy" directory.) Then just double-click on the Ropy.tmbundle
file that will be in the textmate-rope directory you've created.

The autocompletion command for TM-Ropy appears to be ^P; ^] will take
you to the definition of a method.

Having said all this, this is actually the first time I've used Ropy! I
tend to keep a Ctags file up to date for my projects using the "TM
Ctags" bundle, which gives me the ^] equivalent for nearly all
languages. (There are two Ctags bundles, but in my experience the other
one doesn't work.) The autocompletion that this bundle provides looks a
little barebones to me but I guess it could be cool.

I will say that if you get used to Emacs -- I never quite have -- it
does do really well with dynamic languages like Python and Ruby. I've
tried to switch away from TextMate to several other coding environments
but keep ending up back here, though; despite my frustration with a few
misfeatures and concerns about the program's future development status,
once you really start taking advantage of its power it's awfully hard to
leave.

--
Watts Martin <layotl at gmail.com>