[TxMt] Re: Python Bundles

Phil textmate at luminated.net
Mon Apr 25 20:51:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Watts Martin <layotl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Using the official Python bundle I seem to only get completion on
>> commands, not lookup of methods on the object at the cursor.
>
> You'll need to install both ropy at a system-wide level and the
> textmate-ropy bundle to get this, but it worked for me. To install ropy,
> just go to a terminal prompt and type
>
> sudo easy_install ropy

pip or easy_install does not seem to find ropy:
"No local packages or download links found for ropy"

It could be this: http://code.google.com/p/ropy/downloads/list
But the zip file there is not a regular "python setyp.py install" installation.
And it's a web server-thingy ... I assumed textmate-ropy used rope
and/or ropeide ... (which is installed as root on the system)

> Then to install the textmate-ropy bundle, you'll need to check it out of
> Subversion, apparently. Again at the shell prompt:
>
> svn co http://textmate-ropy.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ textmate-ropy
>
> (I presume you know Subversion, but if you don't, that creates a
> "textmate-ropy" directory.) Then just double-click on the Ropy.tmbundle
> file that will be in the textmate-rope directory you've created.

Yes, this is the Ropy.tmbundle I installed. I just took "svn co" (or
"export") to ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles, and
reloaded bundles in TM.

> The autocompletion command for TM-Ropy appears to be ^P; ^] will take you to
> the definition of a method.

That,'s what I thought, but only ^P works, not ^] ...
(Selecting it from the menu doesn't work either.)

> Having said all this, this is actually the first time I've used Ropy! I tend
> to keep a Ctags file up to date for my projects using the "TM Ctags" bundle,
> which gives me the ^] equivalent for nearly all languages. (There are two
> Ctags bundles, but in my experience the other one doesn't work.) The
> autocompletion that this bundle provides looks a little barebones to me but
> I guess it could be cool.

I was looking into ctags for a MacVim as IDE setup, but I seemed to
get a lot of completions of irrelevant stuff. I'm not sure if that was
the creation of the tags file that was done wrongly, or if it was the
vim plugin(s) that didn't parse intelligently or was misconfigured.
But I don't really care if it's Ropy, rope, ctags or something else, I
just want it to work nicely ... :) So with ctags, would I be able to
get method and function defs easily popping up somehow? :)

The RopeMate bundle looks nice for completions, but I don't seem to
get method definitions with this bundle.

> I will say that if you get used to Emacs -- I never quite have -- it does do
> really well with dynamic languages like Python and Ruby. I've tried to
> switch away from TextMate to several other coding environments but keep
> ending up back here, though; despite my frustration with a few misfeatures
> and concerns about the program's future development status, once you really
> start taking advantage of its power it's awfully hard to leave.

Yes, I actually got most stuff working nicely in Emacs, but I do have
some issues with it, and TextMate feels less "cluttered" ...

--
Phil :)