[TxMt] Re: TextMate for the iPad

Thu Feb 4 19:04:07 UTC 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> One of the biggest problems would be textmate's reliance on external programs to handle its various bundles. Shell scripting and the like are not available on iPhoneOS, and will not likely be available on the iPad.

I’m pretty sure a lot of that stuff is there, it just isn’t exposed to end-users. Apple doesn’t allow you to install your own interpreters, but you can use those already on the system. I don’t know if that includes Python, Ruby, PHP, Perl, etc. but it certainly includes at least one shell.

However, as someone else pointed out… What would you edit? The disk/file/folder metaphor basically doesn’t exist in the iPhone/iPad UI. It’s just applications and their data.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

It's not that I think guns, drugs, prostitution, swimming, eating and reading should be legal. It's just that no one on Earth has the authority to make them illegal.