[TxMt] Re: TextMate for the iPad

Brad Choate brad at bradchoate.com
Thu Feb 4 17:14:14 UTC 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>
>> mouse but not if you use a touchscreen), then there's the question if
>> TM uses stuff that might not be available in Cocoa Touch.
>

> One of the biggest problems would be textmate's reliance on external programs to handle its various bundles. Shell scripting and the like are not available on iPhoneOS, and will not likely be available on the iPad.

I live and breathe with TextMate on my Mac, but this is the very reason I haven't even bothered suggesting a TextMate for iPad. Perhaps a TextMate Lite that includes everything but bundle commands? But even that would be a big undertaking that would steal valuable time from TextMate 2 development.

But I have wondered if an all-in-one app like Coda would be ported to iPad; particularly since you could "multitask" within the app itself-- but I don't know how much it relies on shell commands to do what it does.

-Brad

--
Blog: http://bradchoate.com/
Twitter: bradchoate