[TxMt] Re: sort files with non-latin characters

Wed Sep 2 16:09:30 UTC 2009

On 21 Aug 2009, at 16:58, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> I found a small bug. Since this is part of a bundle, the macromates
> website asked me to report it here.

> characters. […]

This is a limitation of the locale files included with Leopard.

Snow Leopard has more complete locale files, so here it works as
expected.

> What would be different for the "Sort lines in document" (which simply
> calls "sort") and the above script?

We call sort with ‘-f’ to “fold case” (so A < b < C etc.), this is why
sort need to reference the locale info, which is not required if you
don’t do any case folding.

I am not sure if we need to address this, given that the problem is
fixed with Snow Leopard and the input causing the problem should be
rare, plus the only fix I can think of would be to test if sort fails
and if so, call it again without case-folding. hmm… I probably will
end up spending a few minutes seeing if I can do a quick fallback fix :)