[TxMt] Re: latex bundle: handling pstricks and pst-pdf together

Brad Miller millbr02 at luther.edu
Thu Nov 13 21:23:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Denilson Barbosa <
denilson.barbosa at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I've made this feature request for improving the latex bundle and got
> a reply that maybe the user discussion list would be more appropriate.
> So here it is:
>
> pstricks remains extremely useful and pdflatex seems to be the future
> of LaTeX, although it does not support pstricks directly.
>
> There is a simple and elegant way of having then coexist, which is to
> use the pst-pdf package, which defines a new environment to wrap
> pstricks figures. However, this now requires that we compile the ps
> and pdf parts separately as follows:
>
>    latex <file.tex>
>    dvips -Ppdf -o <file-pics.ps> <file.dvi>
>    ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None <file-pics.ps> <file-pics.pdf>
>    pdflatex <file.tex>
>
> This is properly documented in
> http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=pdf/pdfoutput
>
> The LaTeX bundle should be extended with a new test to see if the
> pst-pdf package is loaded and perform the steps above, removing the
> .ps file after the last step.
>
> Has anyone been able to extend the latex bundle with a way to handle
> pst-pdf?

I am curious to know how many people such an extension would benefit.  I
think one of the nice things about the Bundle as it stands now is that it
does the things that the majority of people want pretty well.  And... it is
extensible enough for cases like this to be handled elegantly by the user.

For example:  These lines could be  re-written placed in a script file in
your home directory somewhere:
   latex <file.tex>
   dvips -Ppdf -o <file-pics.ps> <file.dvi>
   ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None <file-pics.ps> <file-pics.pdf>
   pdflatex <file.tex>

The lines above would need to be re-written to use the TM_FILENAME
environment variable as follows:

#!/bin/bash

filebase=`basename -s .tex ${TM_FILENAME}
latex ${TM_FILENAME}
dvips- -Ppdf -o $filebase-pics.ps $filebase.dvi
ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None $filebase-pics.ps $filebase-pics.pdf
pdflatex ${TM_FILENAME}
rm $filebase-pics.ps

Now, at the top of your latex file you can put the line:

%!TEX TS-program = /path/to/my/script

>From now on the LaTeX bundle will use your script to typeset your file.
 Because the script is written using TM_FILENAME it will work for any files
you want to do this with.

If this is a common case, then I think it would be good to add to the Bundle
directly but if this is something only used by 1 or 2 people then I think
the solution above is the way to go.

Brad

> Thanks
>
> Denilson