[TxMt] Re: disable new behavior in contextual menu for snippet selection - possible?

Tue Dec 2 09:48:37 UTC 2008

On 2 Dec 2008, at 02:37, Rob McBroom wrote:

>> Nah, you're all just griping because you're not used to it. <g>
>> Seriously: it's a shock, and I haven't made up my mind yet.
> I'm sure there's a good reason, but I wouldn't mind knowing what that
> is.

Well, at least a reason: in Snow Leopard Apple wants to allow menu
items to trigger without any modifiers at all.

So for example one could make ‘p’ without any modifiers toggle a
palette. The problem with this is that if one opens e.g. the File menu
and press ‘p’ to jump down to ‘Print…’ then that won’t work, instead
the palette will toggle (because its menu item reacts on the ‘p’).

So Apple want to disable handling of menu item key equivalents (w/o
modifiers) when menus are open. This breaks our use of 1-9 as shortcut
keys. The present build is a test to see how well that works.