[TxMt] Re: disable new behavior in contextual menu for snippet selection - possible?

Luke Daley ld at ldaley.com
Tue Dec 2 11:08:06 UTC 2008

On 02/12/2008, at 7:48 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>>> Nah, you're all just griping because you're not used to it. <g>
>>> Seriously: it's a shock, and I haven't made up my mind yet.
>> I'm sure there's a good reason, but I wouldn't mind knowing what that
>> is.
>
> Well, at least a reason: in Snow Leopard Apple wants to allow menu
> items to trigger without any modifiers at all.
>
> So for example one could make ‘p’ without any modifiers toggle a
> palette. The problem with this is that if one opens e.g. the File menu
> and press ‘p’ to jump down to ‘Print…’ then that won’t
> work, instead
> the palette will toggle (because its menu item reacts on the ‘p’).
>
> So Apple want to disable handling of menu item key equivalents (w/o
> modifiers) when menus are open. This breaks our use of 1-9 as shortcut
> keys. The present build is a test to see how well that works.

I must have updated TM without realising it. I hadn't been in the
editor for a little while so when I fired it up the other day I was
absolutely shocked that I had forgotten that you had to press ⌘1
instead of just 1 when the contextual menu was up. Seriously, I was
puzzled at how my brain could do that to me. At least it's glad to
know that I haven't gone fully senile yet.

--

LD.