[TxMt] DIALOG2 popup Question

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Apr 17 07:16:22 UTC 2008

On 17 Apr 2008, at 06:17, Ciarán Walsh wrote:

> On 16 Apr 2008, at 12:39, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>
>> I believe that the approach à la 'HTML > Insert Entity' would fit
>> better. But anyway, the three problems could be more general in
>> some sense.
>
> I do not think that the popup system is ideal for what you are doing
I agree. popup is made for narrow down completion "only".

> For the first problem you could probably just use --extra-chars=' '
> to be able to use the space inside the completion titles.
Well, this won't work. If I have match='arrow down', then I can type
'arrow d' but I cannot type 'down arr', because I want to search word-
based regardless of the word order.

>> Second problem:
>> If I want to do that I have to use the options -w for wait, because
>> I want to replace e.g. "arrow" by my chosen glyph. Fine. But if I
>> delete 5 characters to show all suggestions I do not see what I'm
>> writing whereby the popup menu does its job perfectly.
> I am not too sure what you are explaining for the second problem.
If I use popup without --wait popup will insert automatically the
match string. But I want to insert my self-defined string. Thus I use
--wait to get a plist of the chosen item, I parse it, and I insert/
replace what I want. But if I use --wait and I type something to
narrow down the popup list - it works fine - but I do NOT see what I'm
typing.

> For the third problem, I have thought of and tested something that
> seems to work pretty well for this, but it’s really kind of a hack
> and I would like to avoid it if possible. Currently I think the best
> argument for implementing this is the obj-c completion, to be able
> to type out full selectors (where one has multiple parameters).
As I mentioned popup is made for narrow down completion "only". And
this behaviour could be in some sense contra-productive.

Maybe the name "popup" describes not really the function it does quite
well. Maybe "complete" would better fit(?)
Also "menu" - why not "select". But this is marginal.

Anyway I will try to go an other way.

Thanks,

--Hans