[TxMt] Which LaTeX distribution

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:36:05 UTC 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Le 3 oct. 07 à 20:12, Charilaos Skiadas a écrit :
>
>> On 03/10/2007, Khushru Khumbatta <kuadka at web.de> wrote:
>>> being a new TextMate user I want to install now a TeX/LaTex
>>> distribution.
>>> Yet there are so many of them. Which one works best with the
>>> LaTeX bundle of
>>> Textmate?
>

>> We recommend that you use MacTeX ➲ to install the necessary parts
>> as it comes with a standard “no questions asked” installer.
>>
>> As of this writing, the installer also takes care of updating your
>> PATH variable (by modifying /etc/profile) so TextMate will be able
>> to find the installed pdflatex. If you are using another
>> distribution you may need to setup the path manually ⓘ .
> I-installer set the path !
>>

> "being a new TextMate user" is different of "being a new TeX user"
>
> If setting a PATH is not a problem, and if the user wants something
> special why not
>  I-installer?
>
> and why not the real TL2007 distribution ?
>
> With MacTeX, is it easy now to add a font ? For example , with I-
> installer I have fourier directly.
>  Is it the same with macTeX ?

I wasn't saying not to use other distributions, nor that i-installer
does not set the path. I was merely quoting what the bundle help
says. If someone is an experienced TeX user or has special needs,
then of course they might want a different kind of install, I was
just quoting what we recommend. I personally have been very happy
with MacTeX. Fourier works just fine (though I don't think I did
anything particular to it).

> Alain
Haris Skiadas
Hanover College