[TxMt] ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles vs. /Library/...

Daryl Spitzer daryl.spitzer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:01:02 UTC 2007

I want to contribute some patches to the Perforce bundle, but I need
to clear up some confusion first...

http://macromates.com/wiki/Bundles/HowToContribute tells me to start
by checking out the latest version into ~/Library/Application
Support/TextMate/Bundles.  (That's where the Perforce bundle is now,
which I downloaded using the GetBundle bundle.)

But http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/bundles#installing_a_bundle
tells me to create /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/ and
install them there.

Then I'm further confused by the following in
http://macromates.com/wiki/Bundles/HowToContribute:

> Normally it is not recommended that you checkout bundles to the above
> location [~/Library/..., I guess], because when you change the bundle
> items from inside TextMate, it saves changes to ~/Library/…,
> potentially leading to merge conflicts if the files are updated in an
> incompatible way on the server.
>
> If you already have done a full checkout of the repository to /Library
> then you can instead do a symbolic link...

So what should I do?  Should I check out the Perforce bundle to
/Library/... or ~/Library/...?  Should I ignore the instructions to
create a symbolic link, since I haven't done a full checkout to
/Library/...?

--
Daryl Spitzer