[TxMt] Re: Tunnelling SVN

Matthew Law mailmattlaw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 21:50:32 UTC 2007

--- Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Matthew Law wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a shared linux development server and we
> each checkout and edit our files on the server
> remotely either via samba shares or directly by
> SSHing in.  This is so we can preview the changes in
> our dev sites as we make them.
>
> What exactly is the reason that you don't have a
> local checkout of the
> repository?  Editing the files remotely seems like a
> bad idea to me, if
> you can instead just edit locally, and push changes
> using svn (or
> whatever scm).

We all have our own sites on the development server
which is a copy of our live linux box so it behaves
the same as the live server.  Our designers are not
technical and we dont want to have to install apache
mysql and PHP on everyone's Mac, so we work in our own
dev sites and then commit when done making changes.

Local is great for rails but to for this environment
we would have to commit each change to see it and have
a commit hook in subversion trigger an update of the
development site.  Seems a bit clunky to me...