[TxMt] Re: Bug when viewing PDF files with PDFView

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Jun 29 23:53:22 UTC 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
> On May 30, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Jenny Harrison wrote:
>> On May 30, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Jonas Müller wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone else came across the same following
>>> behavior: When repeatedly typesetting a LaTeX file (e.g. when
>>> changing equations around), PDFView correctly updates the page in
>>> question but then jumps back to the first page (making it very
>>> annoying to scroll to the appropriate page again). I have only
>>> experienced this behavior with _some_ files, while others seem to
>>> work fine.
>
> This is probably related to the use (or lack thereof) of pdfsync,
> though I never got around to looking into it further.
> Theoretically, if you don't have \usepackage{pdfsync} in your files
> then it should not jump anywhere, it should just show the last
> thing you were seeing in PDFView. If you do have pdfsync, then it
> tries to take you to the correct spot. I suspect the problem might
> be with files where the usepackage line is commented out. Can you
> send me one of the files where it is not working for you?

Correcting myself, looking at the code what happens is that the
compile script looks for a file with extension .pdfsync. If it finds
it, then it tries to sync, and if not then it doesn't.

What this means is that currently, if there is a document on which
you used the pdfsync package at some point, but then stopped using
it, then the .pdfsync file is still around and the shell script gets
confused. So a quick workaround, if this is the problem you are
seeing, is to remove the file with extension .pdfsync.

We should probably change it so that it compares the modification
date of the pdfsync file with the tex document, and if pdfsync is
older then not sync. That still wouldn't be perfect, but would be an
alternative.
The other alternative is to change the code so that it scans the
appropriate documents looking to see if the pdfsync package is being
loaded or not (I guess we could look at the log file for that
probably, that might be the simplest solution).

>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> Jonas Müller
>>
>> Try Skim.  A new version came out this morning and it is now my
>> default PDF viewer.  You can find recent references to it in this
>> list.
>>
>> Jenny
>
> Haris Skiadas

Haris Skiadas