[TxMt] Language Grammar - TM's internal markups

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Jul 25 09:10:22 UTC 2007

Thanks.

On 24 Jul 2007, at 15:15, Michael Sheets wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2007, at 3:23 AM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>> 1) Is it possible to look for the internal markups which TM is
>> using like
>> "<support.function.perl>(.*?)</support.function.perl>"
>> directly?
>> I only know the way to use the 'magic keyword' in a tmCommand
> Need to know why you need this to better answer it. For some cases
> you might have to do that, if you want the content of a scope for a
> command that is easy. Change the input to selected text, then
> choose scope as the alternate. Now the text around the caret
> matching the scope given will be available to the command.

Yes, I know.
I'm using TM not only for writing source code but also for text
analysis (n-gram, morphemes, special consonant clusters, unwanted
glyphs, etc.). I find it quite convient to see what's going on within
the text while writing. That's why I wrote a special language grammar
to highlight these patterns (unfortunately a dynamic grammar doesn't
work). Then I want to find the next morpheme for instance. Within
TM's Find Dialog I cannot look for for these tags, I "only" can look
for the regexp, but sometimes the regexp is really long (like for the
next example).

Or an other example. A friend of mine is teaching Perl. He would find
it very helpful to parse the current Perl code for all
<support.function.perl> and <variable.other.predefined.perl> in order
to list the used Perl functions/variables for a kind of glossary.

Of course, everything is doable by using Regexps in a command with
inputFormat=xml. So my question only was whether there is a more
direct way to use the internal markups, because these tags are
already there.

Hans