[TxMt] Newbie: couldn't find svn

jeanpierre at gmail.com jeanpierre at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 03:39:51 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Jean Michel Esnault <jesnault at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Just installed textmate and was trying to use svn bundle.
> I got following error:
>
> Couldn't find svn
>
> If you have installed svn, then you need to either update your PATH
> or set the TM_SVN shell variable ( e.g. in Preferences / Advanced)
>
> Locations searched:
>
> /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin/
> CocoaDialog.app/Contents/MacOS
> /bin
> /sbin
> /usr/bin
> /usr/sbin
> /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin
>
> I have checked I have /usr/local/bin in my PATH
> and I have also set TM_SVN (just in case) as followed:
>
> $ set | grep PATH
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/
> usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/
> local/pgsql/bin:/usr/local/pgsql/bin
>
> $ set | grep TM_SVN
> TM_SVN=/usr/local/bin
> $
>
> $ which svn
> /usr/local/bin/svn
>

> What am I missing ?

unfortunately textmate does not absorb the user's shell environment (at
least for non-bash users no?), so while you can access the subversion binary
in the terminal and it can easily be found in your PATH, textmate doesn't
know anything about it. instead textmates (as all mac os x applications do)
takes the settings defined in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
  http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/shell_commands

also worth noting, i think a restart (logout?) is necessary before those
values spring into action.

alternatively, you could set the textmate specific environment variable
TM_SVN to point to your subversion. since textmate doesn't read your shell
you will need to define it in environment.plist or you can set this directly
in textmate: Preferences > Advanced > Shell Variables.

i still wonder why textmate doesn't get adventurous and init its environment
based on the user's shell preference - but as i have said before i don't
understand the hurdles involved so it is easy for me to suggest.

cheers,
jean-pierre