[TxMt] Any way to force a font smoothing style in TM

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Tue Aug 21 21:25:31 UTC 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Jay Soffian wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2007, at 5:10 AM, James Hicks wrote:
>
>> I love how Monaco 11 looks like against my dark TM background when
>> in the
>> "light" smoothing style. However I can't stand the rest of the OS
>> text and
>> especially Helvetica in Safari and prefer those to be in "standard"
>> style,
>> they all just look too fat in "light" while Monaco looks anaemic in
>> "standard".
>
> You can try this. Quit TextMate:
>
> % defaults write com.macromates.textmate AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
>
> That should enable light smoothing for TextMate only.
>
> I haven't tested this, but I did find that the AppleFontSmoothing
> preference changes in my Library/Preferences/
> ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.<hex>.plist file when I adjust the
> preference in the the Appearance system preference panel (it changes
> in com.apple.systempreferences.plist as well, but I doubt that
> affects anything but the preference pane).
>
> (Aside, does anyone understand the difference between the
> preferences under Library/Preferences and those under Library/
> Preferences/ByHost?)
>
> There might be other knobs as well. I found this page, but it's over
> 5 years old:
>
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0100148/stories/2002/02/04/macOsX1012FontRendering.html
>
> Report back what you find!
>
> Thanks,
> j.

WOW! That totally works!
That looks a LOT better.

This also works:
defaults write com.macromates.textmate AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

But it's MUCH lighter, maybe a bit too light, that one.
Something in between would be best.
Do you think you could do 0.5? What would be the syntax for that?

	thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — bundleForge