[TxMt] Compiling Latex with TextMate ???

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 22:14:25 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Brad Miller wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Brad Miller wrote:
>
> So, I'm not understanding what you mean by a  TexShop engine.

It's just a regular script like latexmk.pl really. From the TeXShop
help:

These XeTeX features form a special case of a new general method for
adding typesetting engines to TeXShop. There is now a folder in ~/
Library/TeXShop named Engines; the files in this folder are shell
scripts which call typesetting programs. When TeXShop first starts,
it examines this folder and adds the script names of files it
contains to the pull-down typesetting menu. Choosing one of these
items and pushing the Typeset button calls the script. Users can
write their own scripts and add them to the Engines folder. Each such
script must have a name without spaces, and extension ".engine", and
have the executable bit set.
Items in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines can be chosen as the default
typesetting method in TeXShop Preferences. Notice that when a method
is listed in Preferences, its name is given without the extension.

I think this might also give an example: http://www.apfelwiki.de/
forum/viewtopic.php?p=4579&sid=d9d6934f9efa686624a1a56fb1d758de

> Maybe this setup would be more descriptive.  The text entry box
> would only be active if the checkbox was checked.

Yes this looks very close to what I had in mind, except that the user
shouldn't really be able to choose both latexmk.pl and a custom
script. Perhaps radio buttons would be the way here, one of them
being "use above engine", another being "use latexmk.pl" and the
other being "use custom script: ...".

If the menu gets too chaotic, you could have the Typesetting and
Viewing parts be two different tabs. Then we could add a third tab
dealing with the preferences for the various environment shortcuts
etc, once I get around to adding those to a nib system.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College