[TxMt] Code Reviewing Bundle

Bob Henkel bob.henkel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:13:02 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm looking at creating a bundle that can be used to provide peer code
reviews making use of TextMate for the majority if not all of the
process. I'm looking for high level input/suggestions. Does anyone else
think this would be helpful to them? Anyone else want to work on this with
me?

The high level process of this goes like this:
( A database is used to store a code file for review and all comments
submitted against that file. This allows metrics to be reported on as well
as allowing any number of people to review the same code at the same time
from many different locations. This also allows the status of comments to be
tracked and changed and what not. I think I can push and pull data from a
database pretty easily from TM. I'm looking at targeting PostgreSQL.)

0. Code creator submits a file to be reviewed via TM.(Submitting
actually inserts the code into the database)
1. Reviewer/s retrieves the stored file from the database and the file
contents are displayed in TM(This is all done via TM).
2. Reviewer/s comments on a line by line basis or select multiple lines and
comment via TM. Each comment should have a status such as BUG, STANDARDS
BROKEN, GENERAL, etc.  I'm thinking of using GUI integration to allow data
input.
3. Code creator can comment on the comments left by a reviewer/s via TM.
Example "I did this because of XYZ".
4. Code creator makes fixes in their code via TM based on reviewer/s
comments.
5. Code creator submits changed code.
6. Reviewer/s can then flag a comment as FIXED, COMPLETED, CLOSED etc. These
would be user configurable values I'm just showing these ones as an example.
7. Repeat 0 to 6 until all comments are in a FIXED/COMPELTE/CLOSED state.
8. Mark review in the database as completed. This will keep anyone from
adding new comments. But the process above will all be in the database for
future reporting and what not if it's needed.

Things I wish I could do, but not sure that I can:
0. I can't mark a line in TextMate with a little graphic in the left
gutter to indicate that line has a comment on it.  I do see maybe using the
HTML viewer like the TODO bundle does as an alternative.  Is it possible to
highlight a line with a specific color on the fly? Say mark a line with a
BUG comment and the line will turn red and lines with comments marked as
GENERAL are yellow etc etc?

Thanks in advance for any input
Bob