[TxMt] Strange inconsistent behavior

Michael Gregoire mgee at gwi.net
Thu Oct 12 20:24:49 UTC 2006

Well, I've been having quite a time of it with tab-triggered
commands. From looking through the many existing bundles, I'm not
surprised it took me this long to notice this bug(?), there are very
very few commands that use tab triggers.

The problem is that a tab-triggered command will empty the line that
I use the tab-trigger within when in fact the command is supposed to
replace or alter the line in some way, not delete it.

I first noticed the behavior when using Mike Mellor's GTD2 bundle and
at first thought that it was his scripts that weren't working on my
system. After some back and forth communication between Mike and I, I
was able to see that this problem happens with MOST commands that are
tab-triggered.... MOST but not ALL. I could understand all of them
not working, but most of the few that exist in the bundles I have
active don't work while one does.

Here's a list of the commands and their bundles:

GTD2:
delegate (python script)
wait (python script)
undo state change (python script)
done (python script)

Objective-C:
alloc (ruby script)
super (doesn't seem to, but haven't the time to layout test code)
(python script)

The one example that does work is...

Ruby:
word_wrap() (ruby script)

The only common thread I can see is the path to the executable at the
top of the shell script.
The ones that fail all are shell scripts in which they define the
path to the exec file at the top:

#!/usr/bin/env python
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

But then, there are other scripts that AREN'T tab-triggered and also
use shell scripts with the defined path that work.

I'm using TextMate Version 1.5.3 (1269) on OSX 10.4.8 on a 1GHz
PowerPC G4 powerbook.

Any help narrowing this problem down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike