[TxMt] Re: a request on GTDalt bundle: flexible input

Piero D'Ancona pierodancona at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 16:05:06 UTC 2006

Mark Eli Kalderon <eli at ...> writes:
> ---it really is
> more efficient to have complex info broken up into different files.

To both Marks: on the contrary, thank you for your very interesting
ideas. I'm no GTD expert and still groping to find my way. You are
probably right, it is more efficient to keep separate files, but at
the price of structuring stuff, and, what is the worst for me, to
remember the structure you have given to stuff. And switching
to a different structure (or, say, checking one's files on a USB pen
on a different computer) is more difficult.

It is the same with e-mail: many people classify and archive mail
into different folders. I tried but this actually slows me down (bad
memory I guess): after 3 months I do not remember where I put
things. So I must use the search capabilities of my computer to
find things. So, in the end, it is quicker for me to leave everything
in my Inbox and just search. It works perfectly, I do not have to
remember anything at all.

Structuring stuff has also another very bad disadvantage for me:
folders and files which are "out of sight" become more like hiding
places. I need to have everything thrown up in my face at the press
of a key to really use it.

Very probably it's just me, but I prefer to put everything in one place
and let the computer do the work. That's why I bought it in the first place...
But again, I am still finding my way.

Thank you,
Piero