[TxMt] Re: TextMate on OS X 10.3.9

Arnaud BARRÉ arnaud.barre at lavache.com
Tue Nov 7 15:38:59 UTC 2006

On 2006-09-19 03:01:05 -0400,
cryo at cyanite.org said:

>> Will I break things if I change the first line of the various ruby
>> scripts from "#!/usr/bin/env ruby -s" to "#!/usr/bin/ruby -s"?
>
> No, I believe the env command is used to select the correct ruby command
> at run-time (the first one in the PATH). So just providing the correct
> path manually, will work as well.
>
> I guess the problem is that the older env command doesn't allow arguments
> for the commands following it, so it tries to start 'ruby -s' instead of
> 'ruby' with '-s' as argument.
>
> -- Sune.

I use the latest TextMate version (1.5.4 (v1324)) in Panther (10.3.9)
with Ruby 1.8.5. I have Installed ruby via MacPorts and I made a
symbolic link from /opt/local/bin/ruby to /usr/bin/ruby (the old ruby
version has been moved to /usr/bin/ruby-1.6.8). This works great for my
TextMate use which is in fact to write some reports in LaTeX. Like
Darryl Morrell, I can't used the snippets command like bold, italic or
underline because the Panther env command don't accept command with
options (You can try to add some ' or " or ` but it doesn't work ). So
I modify the first line of
/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle/Support/bin/toggle_style.rb
to be now '#!/usr/bin/ruby -s'. I thinked I have to modify the
ENV['TM_SUPPORT_PATH'] command because I didn't used the /usr/bin/env
command but it wasn't necessary. The snippets works !

My short story is finished, but not my thought. Like I have just
mentioned, it is not necessary to use the /usr/bin/env command (at list
in the toggle_style.rb file), so how the ENV array is accessible? If I
generalised my thought to all the snippets which start by
'#!/usr/bin/env ruby -s', it is possible to replace this line by
'#!/usr/bin/ruby -s? This modification would make it possible to use
TextMate on Panther (with the last ruby version installed)

Maybe it is not important, because you are using Tiger and in some
times Leopard, but I find the idea interessant to have a text editor
which works on the different Mac OS version.

Regards,

Arnaud