[TxMt] PHP vs XHTML?

Methnen (AKA Jamie) jamie at methnen.com
Wed Nov 1 02:05:37 UTC 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Sean Schertell wrote:
> You're right, adding the shell variable seems to fix things right
> up. I noticed that the ctl-return shortcut now writes a break tag
> like this "<br/>" rather than with a space preceding the backslash
> like this: "<br />" -- slightly off-topic, but is this correct? I
> thought read somewhere that you need that space for full cross-
> browser compatibility or something. No?

You would want their to be a space before the / in the variable.

And I have to admit, while I understand the argument against serving
XHTML as text/html (that Allan was alluding to) I don't agree with
it.  If you code clean XHTML and serve it as text/html and don't do
the silly user related mistakes that Ian Hickson brings up then the
large majority of his issues with it are quite simply mute.

You can read Ian Hickson's deal here:
http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

Brad Fults has a great response here:
http://h3h.net/2005/12/xhtml-harmful-to-feelings/

And of course the comments on Brad Fults' post are full of people who
feel either way.  Personally I'm still using XHTML.  :)

Jamie

Email: jamie at methnen.com
Homepage: http://www.methnen.com

"And I always go to pieces.  And I have it in my mind, that the sky is
tall and heavy, when I could be brave."
-Karen Peris (Brave)

"I want to find where the maid in the street is pouring her wine,
I heard she takes you in and gives you the words you need said.
If you'll be her brother, she'll kiss you like a sister.
She'll even be your mother, for now."
-Matt Slocum (Sister, Mother)

"And we are drowned."
-Annie Dillard (Tickets For a Prayer Wheel)