[TxMt] Performance issues

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat May 27 02:40:18 UTC 2006

On 26/5/2006, at 22:46, Timothy Reaves wrote:

> [...] So when someone asks about performance and whatnot, you can't
> simply say 'you get what you pay for'

While I personally would not use such phrase, I don’t see why you
can’t say such thing about TextMate.

You pay an indie software developer €39 for a shareware application.
Did you not get a shareware application worth €39? Let me remind you
that hiring a software developer to do custom development for you
will likely cost €100 or more per hour (and I doubt you can find
anyone who can write something like TextMate in less than a year),
and it’s not uncommon to pay for support and/or upgrades. I currently
provide that as a free bonus, and even do semi-custom development for
you guys.

I do this of own choosing, so it is not because I expect any special
gratitude for this gesture, but frankly your statement does seem
pretty out of place!

> [...] compared to other similarly complex software, it costs a lot.

No it does not. Commercial/shareware software of the same complexity
costs the same or more, sometimes much more. F/OSS is hard to
compare, but if you think of the high-profile projects like Eclipse
or Firefox, those projects are backed by companies who invest
millions of dollars in them (lookup the price for being a Mozilla
Foundation), even governments have put money into the Mozilla project
-- and those money do come from somewhere.