[TxMt] Soft tabs / tabs <-> spaces

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Feb 7 01:50:58 UTC 2006

On 7 Feb 2006, at 00:16, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> If you just want it to insert four spaces, start macro recording,
> press space 4 times, stop macro recording, save macro and bind to
> the tab key. Then use it with soft tabs disabled.

No, I'd like the current soft tabs behaviour where hitting tab
inserts spaces up to the next tab stop - but without cursor movements
pretending that runs of spaces are actually tabs. I'd like to be able
to tell from how the cursor moves whether the file contains a real
tab or not.

> Although then tab can no longer be used to expand snippets (snippet
> expansion can however also be rebind).
>
> For a more complex version, it'd have to be a command and use
> TM_TABZIE and likely TM_COLUMN_NUMBER.
>
> But why do you want this? if it's to see when it's using tabs or
> spaces, you can enable Show Invisibles in the View menu.

I don't like being able to see invisible characters but I do like the
cursor movement to reflect what's in the text. For example I find it
annoying not to be able to place the cursor in the middle of a
'virtual' tab and start typing.

Force of habit I guess :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net