[TxMt] Re: services menu

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 31 09:35:50 UTC 2006

Chris Rose wrote:
> If Camino works, that's news -- I've always wanted to do that, but
> Camino was no more capable of it than FF was.  I suspect (And from the
> bugzilla reports on the topic I think I'm right) that the requirement
> to style the text widgets has precluded using platform widgets.
> Camino adds system-specific chrome to them, but doesn't change the
> underlying widgets themselves, so there's not a lot to be done about
> it.
>
> If someone can tell me different, well, I'll do my little happy dance
> and switch back to Camino.

No, the input manager doesn't currently work with Camino text widgets.
I sure wish it did though.  Camino is open source, so it should
conceivably be possible to figure out how to make the input manager get
text out of Camino and back.  I'm not up to the task though.  It might
not even be all that hard, but someone has to go talk to the Camino
guys, or dive into Camino/Gecko source, and then figure out how to patch
some stuff into the input manager (I believe it already has some special
case stuff for Mail.app text widgets, so this would just be another
special case).  Or maybe we can just lobby Allan about it ;)

-Jacob