[TxMt] POLL: Request a Theme!

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Sep 12 09:15:48 UTC 2005

On 11/09/2005, at 17.57, thomas Aylott wrote:

> What themes have you used from previous systems or applications?

I was using StormC on Amiga -- unfortunately I can't find any
screenshot of it, but the 4 Amiga colors can be seen here: http://
www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/studerende/duff/DefProtect/DefProtect.PNG

The editor used the standard grey background, black for text, white
for comments, strings, and integers, bold for keywords, and bold blue
for types (iirc).

> Do you like black backgrounds? Do you like colored backgrounds?

I don't like black backgrounds, mostly because it makes the rest of
the (surrounding) UI seem to bright. I do like colored backgrounds.
Particularly I liked the Mint background, which reminds me of http://
daringfireball.net/ (which also has nice reading/coding colors) -- as
for the grey Amiga background, I do seem to recall that when MagicWB
was introduced, I switched to the “MWB Half-shine pen” which I think
is the color used in the text fields on this grab: http://
www.sasg.com/mwb/gallery/stuntzi.gif (of course back then I was on a
CRT, so the colors was darker).

> Do you hate excessive use of background colors? ...for the
> page? ...for individual elements?

I like it for embedded code in HTML -- mostly when that code is
single line though.

> Do you like high contrast? Do you prefer lower contrast?

High contrast! My vision is sub-standard, so some colors look almost
the same, when there's very little of them (like with letters), and
they have similar contrast.

> Do you like having a bunch of different colors or would you prefer
> one with shades of only a few colors?
> What colors do you like? Please give examples.
> Do you have synisthesia? Are certain elements 'supposed' to be a
> certain color?

Comments are supposed to be italic! And I prefer underline only on
stuff which is like a headline (so like class name, not strings).

I also like the cursor to stand out -- it was to subtle on Mint, so I
changed that to white cursor (removed plain text specific colors,
which had white background).

> What languages do you want to have colored?
> Do you want different languages to have different colors?

Eventually TM will allow themes to be bound to file types, so I don't
think one theme should try to color languages differently, other than
for effect (like All Hallow's Eve).