[TxMt] Chunked undo, Language, overall slowness

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Sep 5 07:30:18 UTC 2005

On 04/09/2005, at 23.10, Steve Weintraub wrote:

> I can appreciate that's his personal preference, but there's
> something to be said for being consistent with the OS (particularly
> when they claim to "bring Apple's approach to operating systems
> into the world of text editors").

That refers to trying to expose the shell (possibilities) etc. in a
GUI editor.

> I've never even encountered this type of keystroke-level undo until
> TextMate, and I find it slows me down considerably. Please make
> chunks a preference!

It will appear in 1.3 (no exact ETA).

> Re: slowdown, I read about something involving the caching, and I
> did flip a defaults write, so app switching does seem a bit
> better..but tab-to-tab is really sluggish, and I'm on a dual 2 G5.
> This is just a text editor, I can't imaging what's happing behind
> the scenes that causes this.

In b17 tab switching got a lot slower because the scope parser is
done using an ANTLR generated parser, and it's used a lot (at least
when switching tab, because it needs to match apply styling using the
rules set in Fonts & Colors) -- most likely I'll introduce caching
for this in b18.