[TxMt] >>> documentation for novices? <<<

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Nov 23 13:40:11 UTC 2005

On 23/11/2005, at 9:31, Matt Henderson wrote:

> [...] For example, I would love to have access to some video-based
> tutorials that, by way of example, give me a better overview of how
> "macros", "snippets", "commands", "bundles", etc. all fit together
> into the concept that is TextMate. (And these kinds of things are
> pretty easy to produce these days.)

The Introduction to Rails movie shows TextMate in use with heavy use
of snippets and some macros: http://www.rubyonrails.org/media/video/
rails_take2_with_sound.mov

While it doesn't show how this stuff is setup, the snippets/macros
used can be found in the Ruby and Rails bundles (in the Bundle Editor).

I have considered starting a screen-cast, and a friend of mine is
likely to take over wrt documentation. But the presence of screen-
capturing software does not make it an easy task. Good tutorial-style
documentation takes very long to produce, and so does coming up with
good examples for use in the movies.

As for the things you mention: macros is a way to record and replay
your actions. Nothing more.

Snippets is a way to insert templates into your code with
placeholders, variables, and real-time substitutions on the
placeholders. Here's the syntax for snippets with many examples of
use: http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/08/25/the-power-of-
snippets/ and here's a movie showing off some advanced snippets
http://macromates.com/movies/intelligent_snippets.mov which is
explained here http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/09/02/beta-17-
notes/

Commands are shell scripts. The possibilities of shell scripts are
limited only by your imagination (since they are really just
programs, and can call out to other language interpreters). In the
context of TextMate, here are several examples where the HTML output
option is used: http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/09/28/html-
output-for-commands/ -- I'd suggest going through the various
commands in the bundle editor to see what else can be done. Many of
the commands are scripts to work on the selection.

As for customizing TextMate, that's the 3 building blocks. The extra
twist is the ability to limit activation of these to particular
subsets of your source via scopes, which is explained here: http://
macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/07/06/introduction-to-scopes/