[TxMt] Background/foreground colors

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 21:14:56 UTC 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 18:36, Allan Odgaard wrote in response to Raymond
Brigleb writings:
> Though if you want black background for HTML/PHP then you may instead
> want to just check out the latest PHP (+ CSS/JS) bundle from the
> repository [1], since Mats Persson just committed a version with a
> dark color scheme.

To clarify that point, the HTML, PHP, CSS & JS combined syntax files
are stored in the PHP.tmbundle [1] in the repository.  If you - or
anyone else - don't have Subversion installed which you need to check
it out I'll be happy to send you the bundle off-list, just let me know.
A better bundle download solution is, I'm sure, under development
somewhere. :)

[1] http://anon:anon@macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/PHP.tmbundle/

For those not interested in PHP, but want the other bits, all of them
will work fine on their own (without PHP) as well. Might merge the
syntax files into the default HTML, CSS & JS syntax's later on if
everything is working OK and that's OK with the grand master.

>> [...] I do like this program, but I assumed that it would come with
>> documentation!!! Frankly, using this feels more like a scavenger
>> hunt, not exactly par for commercial software.
> There will be better documentation, but most likely not before after
> 1.1 final. The reason is twofold: 1) commercial software (or
> shareware, as I prefer to call it) does not equal unlimited resources
> and 2) the program is very much work in progress, and writing
> documentation now and updating it while the program evolves, would
> probably consume 3-4 times more time than just writing the
> documentation when the program is more or less “stable” in basic
> functionality.

As a paid up user since v 1.0, and not paid by Allan :)  I must say
that there is a basic documentation in the Help Viewer, and if anything
is missing from there, please just ping of a question like you did
today, and someone - most likely the amazing Allan himself - will
answer quickly. The ML has been a bit quiet lately, but that's also a
good sign I guess.

However, I must stress the following point:  I would rather have Allan
be productive in improving the app (as he has done fantastically well
since 1.0) than spend his limited time writing documentation. I know
there is a balance to be had here, but as things are currently I think
that there is a fairly large group of users that are helping out in
whatever way they can with answering questions, creating syntax's and
commands etc.  Perhaps that group could also collaborate on creating a
more extensive documentation on the Wiki ??? Sort of a mini TM
Wikipedia.org thing.

Note to Allan: Perhaps the Help files could be editable on the wiki so
that end users could add/amend the missing/insufficient parts. You
could then pull down and include a version for each app release ?? Or
something similar.

Working with TM - and the community around it - is the closest I have
ever come to the true Mac experience with any commercial (shareware)
app. Forget all the old <other editors> stuff and Think different! :)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -