[TxMt] Re: More key binding fun

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Feb 11 20:12:16 UTC 2005

On Feb 11, 2005, at 17:04, kumar mcmillan wrote:

> even though a little OT, I wanted to use this thread to put in another
> *nudge* for you Allan to list any not-listed navigational key-commands
> in the Navigation menu.

Control-tab is sort of a standard system key to leave edit controls
that normally use tab for themselves. E.g. it also works in Mail.app's
text editor to go to the To text field.

I'm reluctant to list these “standard” keys, because there is a lot of
them, and technically I can't know exactly which keys these system
actions are actually bound to.

What I could do was to add a section to my help book about some of the
more useful systme keys (e.g. also the “switch window” key).

> [...] Is there a command to *just* center the carret on the screen?

Command-J. It's in Edit / Find and called “Jump to Selection”.

> While I'm at it :) opt+down/up-arrow is excellent for hopping around
> code blocks but it seems to be a bit buggy in my PHP classes.

That's because it's not intended for this :)

What it does is move a column up/down and is intended to be used when
you want to do a column selection (together with shift).

For example if you have a text like:

    hest
    ged
    får

    ræv
    and
    kat

And your caret is somewhere in the word “hest”, you can use option-down
to move down to “får”, option-down again to move to “ko” etc.