[TxMt] Trouble with editing remote files

Graeme Mathieson mathie at woss.name
Wed Aug 31 07:46:51 UTC 2005

On 30 Aug 2005, at 21:15, Matt M wrote:

> I'm currently using Textmate for a work-related
> project. I collaborate with my boss, usually working
> on the same files during the day.

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but the best solution is to
use some kind of revision control system.  There are several open
source ones available -- CVS[1] is already in the Mac OS X base
system; subversion[2] and arch[3] can both be acquired through
DarwinPorts or Fink.  Personally I use Subversion for everything I
possibly can.  Yes, including my home directory. :-)

That way, you'd check out the files, edit them locally (avoiding the
permissions problem), then check them back in when you're done.  As
an added bonus, you get a history of all the changes made to the
files, the ability to revert incorrect changes and a mechanism for
conveniently dealing with the situation where you and your boss edit
the same file at the same time.

The other option which solves your particular problem, however, is to
make sure the UID on the server matches the user id (the number in /
etc/passwd, not just the name) on your computer.  I think there are
mechanisms on the server side for mapping uids to one another, but
it's a while since I've used NFS...

> Now that mounts the files just fine and I can edit
> them using textmate. BTW, the shell 'tm' is infintely
> useful to me.

That reminds me.  Say, in a fit of extreme silliness ^W tidiness,
somebody accidentally deleted /usr/local/bin/tm and /usr/local/bin/
tm_wait ... is there an easy way to recreate them?

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/
[2] http://subversion.tigris.org/
[3] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/
--
Mail: mathie at woss.name | Web: http://woss.name/
AIM:  Math1e           | PGP: 1024D/D72F2737