[TxMt] The shelf.

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Aug 8 03:30:51 UTC 2005

On 08/08/2005, at 3.13, Chris Thomas wrote:

>> I love drawers, and I don't care too much about Mail's new look,
>> so chances are low.
> I don't think Mail's look is one to emulate, but I would also find
> a source list pane more usable than a drawer.

Actually it should be possible to edit the nib to place the source
list in the main window :) Though for it to look good, there should
probably be a custom view similar to that of Mail below the list to
make the list extend to the window borders, but still have controls
below it.

> See also <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Mac+OS+X+drawer
> +bad&btnG=Search>.

I have yet to see any actual reason to why it's bad (while I didn't
go through all 40,000 hits, much of what people say is subjective and
the top-hit really only deals with particular applications).

As to why I do like the drawer:

  1) it can be hidden if not needed (e.g. for a fullscreen look)
  2) it can appear in either left or right side to suit personal
preference or mood
  3) resizing the drawer (which is needed e.g. when expanding folders
and meeting long filenames) does not affect the size of the text
editing control
  4) in the drawer, the source list doesn't need padding on the sides
and top (because of the bottom controls), which it would need, had it
been in the main window (20 pixels on each side) -- although Mail did
find a solution to that
  5) when I'm bored, I can toggle the drawer and enjoy the nice
animation ;)