[TxMt] The shelf.

Hans Petter Eikemo hpeikemo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:38:48 UTC 2005

On 8/8/05, Allan Odgaard <allan at macromates.com> wrote:
> As to why I do like the drawer:
>
>   1) it can be hidden if not needed (e.g. for a fullscreen look)
>   2) it can appear in either left or right side to suit personal
> preference or mood
>   3) resizing the drawer (which is needed e.g. when expanding folders
> and meeting long filenames) does not affect the size of the text
> editing control
>   4) in the drawer, the source list doesn't need padding on the sides
> and top (because of the bottom controls), which it would need, had it
> been in the main window (20 pixels on each side) -- although Mail did
> find a solution to that
>   5) when I'm bored, I can toggle the drawer and enjoy the nice
> animation ;)

While all points are valid, the main reason I´d get rid of it *is* #3;
Resizing of the drawer is limited to the amount of screen i have to
the left of the window.

As for putting the drawer on the right side I can't stand it. But
excuse that, I'm being subjective :)

One thing I really like about Apple is their willingness to explore a
concept like the drawer, and let it evolve into, say, something like
in Mail.