[TxMt] select paragraph | code block

David Lee david at davelee.com.au
Mon Apr 4 09:30:27 UTC 2005

thanks

What I used is workable for many tasks, but is no good if you want to
select beyond the immediate containing block (eg, if you want to select
a function while you're in a loop). I think this kind of text selection
merits planning in, if only because there will ultimately be so many
applications for filters & unix tool integration with TextMate.

To be useful to me it needs to be language-independent. Would using the
code folding definitions of what constitutes a block achieve
generality? That way there'd be no reinventing the wheel, and
selection will mature with the bundles.

The paragraph selection tool could be useful for coding AND prose with
only slight modification. If it consistently treated a single line
containing nothing OR only whitespace as a break (at the moment a lone
tab is enough to make the line 'part of a paragraph'), that would help
a lot and to my mind lose nothing.

Going beyond that, if, when triggered repeatedly it would
1st select the containing 'code block' (ie, as above but ignoring all
blank lines)
2nd+ select progressively outer 'code blocks',
that would be it sewn up (methinks).

Now if you wanted to get really carried away, you could have, say,
ctrl-alt-opt-(up or down) move blocks of selected text in semantically
sensible ways (eg with a function selected, move up one function
definition at a time) which would be nifty for refactoring code.

my opinions only