[TxMt] i-search in TextMate

Carl Forde cforde at telus.net
Mon Nov 29 04:51:44 UTC 2004

> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:48:11 -0500
> From: Josh DiMauro <jdimauro at gmail.com>

> That's pretty much it... but the advantage is less the shorter find
> string, and more the ability to fine tune by either narrowing or
> widening the search with a couple keystrokes, without having to reopen
> a dialog box. The difference is subtle, but (I feel) important.

> Incremental search seems to be one of those things that makes a subtle
> difference in reducing resistance to use. It's not so much that I need
> it to do all my searching. It's more that, when I don't have it
> available, I search less, and that makes me less efficient.

Incremental search changes the way you do searching. Using Firefox or
Mozilla, on a web page I can just type '/' and then the thing I'm
looking for. cmd-f and filling in a dialog box is requires much more
cognitive effort because of the two context switches required (into
the dialog box and back). Many times I've wanted to type '/something'
and then realized I needed to do cmd-f etc... and decided just to
page-up or page-down instead. May I suggest cmd-/ for incremental search?

Carl