[TxMt] Icon colour thoughts

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Wed Nov 24 18:07:48 UTC 2004

As we've been discussing the TM icon lately, and I'm one of those who
isn't keen on the current icon, I thought I'd do some research.

When placing a new brand into an existing market, one of the things to
identify is the values presented within the brands of your competition.
For icons, the overriding value to consider is that of colour.

I'm no designer, but I've grabbed together a bunch of OS X editor icons
and placed them on a colour wheel:

http://allinthehead.com/assets/img/osxeditorcolours.png

As you can see, the main focus is on blues and greens. These colours are
already over-used and should be avoided. Strong yellow and red have also
already been claimed, although there's no strong orange in use.

The main gap on the wheel is obviously the pinks/purples and the cyan
end. Cyan is tricky to get right, as it tends to either drift into blue
or green, or contrasts badly against white.

Therefore, I think that TextMate should have a pink/purple icon.

drew.