[TxMt] Italics in syntax bundles

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Wed Nov 24 09:14:06 UTC 2004

On 24-11-2004 01:53, Michael Stillwell wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:23:04 +0100, Jeroen van der Ham <jeroen at je-ju.net> wrote:

>>>That's probably w/o anti-alias?
>>
>>Indeed, I don't like anti-alias at all, because it makes all the letters
>>look smudgy.
>

> Are you also using Monaco?  Monaco looks particularly bad not
> anti-aliased because it doesn't come in an italic version--the italic
> is faked, and whatever's doing the faking doesn't do a very good job.
> I find that Lucida Sans Typewriter is slightly better, though I do
> wish Monaco at 12pt, and not anti-aliased (my favourite combination
> for code) was more pleasing to the eye.

You are right, the problem is with Monaco, other fonts do display the
italics better. But I must say that I really like the look of Monaco.

But my opinion of anti-aliasing still stands. I have no idea why anyone
would want anti-aliasing, because all the letters seem blurred. (Perhaps
they just want that
reading-the-newspaper-on-monday-morning-after-a-rough-weekend feeling
back when coding, I dunno)

Jeroen.