[TxMt] Italics in syntax bundles

Michael Stillwell ithinkihaveacat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 00:53:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:23:04 +0100, Jeroen van der Ham <jeroen at je-ju.net> wrote:
> On 23-11-2004 14:10, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 2004, at 10:59, Jeroen wrote:
> >
> >> My experience is that italics in most fixed-width fonts does not look
> >> that good and is bad for readability.
> >
> > That's probably w/o anti-alias?
>
> Indeed, I don't like anti-alias at all, because it makes all the letters
> look smudgy.

Are you also using Monaco?  Monaco looks particularly bad not
anti-aliased because it doesn't come in an italic version--the italic
is faked, and whatever's doing the faking doesn't do a very good job.
I find that Lucida Sans Typewriter is slightly better, though I do
wish Monaco at 12pt, and not anti-aliased (my favourite combination
for code) was more pleasing to the eye.

--M.

--
http://beebo.org