[TxMt] Syntax highlight - regexp questions

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 02:04:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having a go a writing a syntax highlighting format for markdown
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/), and I've run into a
couple of problems.  The first is the lack negative look behind
assertions which makes matching escaped sequences (eg. * \* *) a lot
more complicated.  I can use begin, end and swallow, but there isn't
any way to limit these to single line sequences.  Are there any plans
for including them in the future?

The second problem, which I haven't been able to overcome, is matching
multiline sequences that end with (eg.) two newlines.  For example:
begin = "\\*"; end = "\\n{2,}" doesn't match what I'd expect.  Is this
a known problem?

Thanks,

Hadley